Sunday 12 June 2011

Half the battle is won in the preparation.


The main purpose of my blog is to record all my travelling, ha, that makes it sound like I’m travelling all the time, in my dreams I am though. No seriously I’ve dreamt of Uganda, Germany, China, Japan and other random countries over the last week. It’s been very strange dreams, with paved roads, Jesus statues, oceans, ships. But in reality I’ve done the whole of the east and the west coast of south Africa, the west I’ve done twice and the east  a couple of times.
The west in three words, striking, deserted, cold, (if I was doing four words I would go with flat, you can see for miles on either side of you, its both amazing but slightly eerie as it feels as if its just you in the entire world hanging between heaven and earth waiting for something to happen, quite an experience when you peeing) The first time I went, I went with YWAM, two Cape Coloureds,  an American, a Korean and a Taiwanese and a new Zealander. Times of crumpets, lamb affel, rain, heat, singing, laughing, crying, shouting and skipping. It was good times.
The team:) the New Zealander and other Cape Coloured were taking the photo but the girl in the white hat is Hannah from Korea, in the blue, is Ashley from Cape Town and then the girl in purple was Katie the American and on the lowest step is Lesly from Taiwan and I'm reading the magazine.


The Affel that we ate, its lamb intestines and lamb brain. I just ate the sauce and had a nibbl of the brain, I've never been able to eat lamb again.

The second time that I went I went with my dad and sister, and that was more of a surf (even though we went in the wrong season, we were able to find waves, with no one else out) trip we spent two nights up there (forgotten the name of the place). It was beautiful with the most amazing lighting and views from our rooms, right on the beach. Yus it was amazing, one of the most ridicules times of my life. With spending a crap load of money on seafood and savannahs. The white sand beaches and the sand insects which followed us everywhere and the ice cold water all corresponded with the sun to make it feel as if time did not exist. Freedom seemed to echo from the distant horizon.  


The view from my room when I was on the West Coast with the ol man and my sister.

My east coast trips have been filled with mission trips, random surf day trips to the south coast, a couple of road trips to and from cape town with the ol’ man and sister (still learning to drive and driving a little Hyundai Atos and the other times an Alpha with four surfboards and a couple of bags). The last road trip, last year (2010) November we had no surf but instead were able spend time in Mossel Baai (one of my favourite places in SA) find vintage shops, spend time at a bar where my dad and my mom used to hang out and have braai with one of the locals and find out about a recycling, green company, we also made friends with a Scottish terrier. Fun times.
The rock pool at mossel bay near the lighthouse.


The phosporus in the water, it gives off a bluish light when its disturbed.
Other times were spent at kids beach (just outside of east London) in a house where there’s a hole in the wall, sleeping on the floor, Jefferies bay a few times, for wildcard, living in a airplane hanger, holidays, then St Francis for a few nights. Port Elizabeth with a friend for a week and Cape Town has been tapped a couple times.
I’ve also spent time in Mozambique twice, the one time when it was me and three boys, I ended up sleeping in the back of a landie (while one of the boys slept in my tent) as I was the only one who could fit in the back, wasn’t too uncomfortable but at least I didn’t get plagued by mosquitoes. We drove around on sand dunes, the weather was crap so just drove around the Ponto area and ate something pretty much every stop we had. The best crème burle are in Mozam with the most peri-peri chicken in the world, in the boys words- “it burns twice”. The other time I was up there for just over a month and a half in Maputo working with an organisation that focuses on girls in prostitution. Was amazing, lived off TUC biscuits, spinach and toast.

Me, people watching in the streets of Maputo (the capital of Mozam). That is a temple in the background that every morning would send out the call to pray at 5 am.


This is one of the pictures taken of the children that we worked with. I cant show their faces on the internet.
One of my last trips was to Thailand. Yus, one of the most ridicules times of my life with my sister. From staying in rural Thailand, Chaing Mai to Bangkok and on a couple of islands it was the most dynamic time I have had. We rode elephants, met Australians, Swedish, Americans and dodgy Arabic men and spent time with locals in cafes, snorkelled, kayaked, ate green curry and fried sticky rice in sugar and bamboo leaves. I fell even more in love with Asia (I’m convinced I’m going to marry an Asian and have Asian babies).  The most distinct things about Thailand were the smells, the people and the food. Everything was so gentle and humble except the food and smells. The food was violently hot and the smells were strong. But I’m in love and would love to go back and live there.
Some University girls that we met in a cafe just off the Chaing Mai campus, they took us on a tour around the university. One of the most beautiful universities I've been too, theres flowers, brushes in the shapes of elephants and a huge lake.


Some of the local food that we ate, soem was yummy, others were just interesting.


Crazy Arab men that we met. So dodgy.
Right now I’m starting to prepare for Uganda and Congo, which is the main reason for my blog, so that I can document what happens and that people can be aware of what’s going on in other areas of the world. I’ve heard (and learnt thanks to unprepared exams and getting stuck in Thailand with nowhere to sleep) that half the battle is won through the preparation. So it’s time to prepare for Uganda and Congo (I’ve got 18 days left, that’s just over two weeks, WOAH time has gone fast).
To be honest I’m a little nervous but I’m also pretty excited, there’s a lot to prepare, I’m still waiting for my letter of invitation so I can apply for a visa for the Congo and I need to get together all the teachings that I’m going to do but other then that I’m ready to go (all my vaccinations have been sorted out, all 8 injections and oral vaccines DONE). I can now pretty much go into any country in the world.
So as I’m waiting in going to prepare my teachings, I’m focusing on living in the power of God and on the bible characters Samuel and Moses. Will let you know how it goes, once I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment